Friday, September 5, 2008

The customer is always right!

So Wednesday and Thursday at work I've worked on a series of e-mails from this guy that got a little angry. His name is David and he booked a reservation back in June via e-mail. Those e-mails went to other people, so I had never seen them. He sends a reply to his confirmation e-mail asking 'This is at the Waikiki Shore Resort, right?' The person who got that e-mail reconfirmed all the details, that he was at the Outrigger Reef. David responds saying 'No, I booked an apartment at the Waikiki Shore'. I got that response and in turn said 'no, you are at the Reef, but you can switch to the Shore for about $50 more per night since all we have left there are 2 bedroom units'.

This is where he first flips a lid, saying 'This is a disgrace, we DO NOT want the hotel, I suggest you make the 2 bedder available at the price we booked. This would be a gesture of goodwill. Let me know ASAP if you intent to "do the right thing" so we can act accordingly.'

I was so very close to replying to this guy asking who he thinks he is and how exactly is this a disgrace on our part. But I did the wise thing and sent his response to my supervisor. She responded to him saying 'hey, we found a studio available for $50 less than what your paying now so we've moved you over'

He replies 'Aloha Kristine and all other reservation staff, I'm afraid the studio won't cut it. My booking was via the Shore website and at all times I was booking a one bedroom condo. That is what I thought I booked and that is what I want. You should give us the two bedroom condo at the price we already have. I have looked at the studio and find it unsatisfactory. We are quite firm and will take our business elsewhere, not just now but in the future. We've come about a billion times' He didn't say billions.. but that was the gist of it.

At this point I couldn't resist barbing him just a little bit. But of course I had to wrap it up in silk so I don't get fired. 'Thank you for your interest in us, we're glad you've stayed with us many times. I'm sorry the options available to correct your mistake have not been to your satisfaction. I'll forward this to my supervisor to see what can be done.' Of course the barb was letting him know this was his own mistake. Surely not the best thing I could have said. And at this point I had not seen the original e-mails from when he booked this back in June, so I didn't know for sure who's error it was. However I was fairly certain.

Of course this only set him off further. "Ryan, it was YOUR mistake. I am offended by your assertion. I will be back to this machine in 8 hours, please ensure YOUR error has been rectified by then. That is the ONLY assistance I need. David Maguire" That was his e-mail word for word, and yes he used all caps on those words. I was pleased that my barb struck and only a little concerned for my job. And very pleased the e-mail came to me instead of someone else. They go to the next available agent so it is only chance that I got it. I did not reply to this e-mail and I had sent his previous e-mail to my boss as I said I would.

The next day I worked in the office because of a meeting and wouldn't you know it, the very first e-mail is from my friend David Maguire. "I have just returned home to find nothing from you. I therefore conclude that you have no interest in my business. Please therefore CANCEL any and all reservations you may have in your system for me and CONFIRM immediately on receipt of this email. ENSURE my card bears ZERO charges. I must express my disappointment of your inability to handle a simple booking request. I await your acknowledgement. David Maguire" Again quoted word for word.

At this point I'm thinking I really want to see how this all began. So I looked through the e-mail archive from his e-mail address. I was so happy with what I found that this was my response to him:

Aloha David,

Thank you for your interest in Outrigger Hotels and Resorts.

I'm sorry a fix couldn't be found for you that fit your needs. Reservation XXXXXXXX at the Outrigger Waikiki Shore Resort has been cancelled without penalty. Your cancellation number is XXXXXXXX. The reservation XXXXXXXX at the Outrigger Reef had already been canceled when we made the reservation for you at the Outrigger Waikiki Shore Resort.

As those are the only reservations mentioned within this correspondence they are the only ones I can cancel. If you have others you will need to reference their confirmation numbers specifically to cancel them.

Your request was handled. I reviewed the archives of your previous e-mail correspondence and you originally sent a request for a Studio Ocean View but did not mention the property you were requesting. The page it was sent from implied that it was the Outrigger Reef on the Beach that you were interested in. The reservationist that responded offered you a room at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach, mentioned by name. You were concerned about the bedding and another reservationist responded again, also specifically mentioning the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. You accepted and sent your details in for this room and rate. A confirmation that the reservation was made was sent to you that mentioned the Outrigger Reef, and a full confirmation e-mail with all the details of the reservation were sent to you in June.

In September you sent your e-mail saying this was not what you wanted. We offered you a condo room (the exact room type that you had asked for) at the property you wanted to be at, that was larger than what you had booked at the Reef, with a kitchenette, and at a lower price than you had booked it at. I have attached the e-mail correspondence below for your review.

Again I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate your needs. Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Mahalo,

From: David Maguire

Comments:

Do you have a studio Ocean View with King Bed, non smoking, available for Sept 15th (in) to Sept 20th (out)

The bed detail is important - if not King, 2 doubles?

Rgds

Aloha David,

Thank you for your interest in Outrigger Hotels and Resorts.

For the dates 9/15/08-9/20/08 an ocean view room at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach Hotel is available for the "Best Available" rate of $305.00

All rates are quoted per night, before tax, based on single or double occupancy and subject to availability. We can request a king bed we can not guarantee bedding. Choices would be a king or 2 double beds.

Please let us know if we can make a reservation or assist you in any other way.

Mahalo,
Deb

Hi

Thanks for the response - it is our 40th wedding anniversary trip so a King would be best?

We would like to confirm the reservation for in 15th Sept, out 20th (5 nights) Ocean View

Please advise OK
Mahalo to you

David Maguire

Aloha Mr. Maguire,

Thank you for your interest in Outrigger Hotels and Resorts.

The rate of US$305.00 for the Ocean View room is still available at this time.

All rates are per night, before tax, based on single or double occupancy and subject to availability. Would you like me to make a reservation for you?

In order for us to book this reservation for you, please provide us with the guest first and last name, mailing address, phone number including area code, and email address. We will also need a credit card number, expiration date and the billing address of the card if different from the mailing address.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Mahalo,
Nikki

Hi

Please make the reservation for us for the dates of In 15th Sept (Mon) Out 20th Sept (Sat) 5 nights

Guests are David & Geraldine Maguire
address
phone
and e-mail
cc #

Please confirm reservation.
Best wishes

Aloha Mr. Maguire,

Thank you for your interest in Outrigger Hotels and Resorts.

I have reserved your room at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Your confirmation number is XXXXXXXX and you will receive an email confirmation within 24 hours.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Mahalo,
Nikki

I particularly love the fact that he insists it is our mistake, he insists that he had booked a suite and not a studio, and that he was an ass the entire time I was conversing with him... and it all came back at him with proof that he was in the wrong the entire time. I suppose I shouldn't have sent it. This is why I'm not the best at customer service. I have a hard time with 'the customer is always right' because ... well... they aren't. Provide great service, yes. Rectify the wrongs, yes. Go above and beyond what is expected, yes. But I believe that if someone wants to be an ass they should have their farts blown back in their face from time to time.

I'm sure I'll be fired over it. And if that happens it won't be worth it. But it sure felt good to shove that under his nose.

No comments: